Antivirus & Firewall Installations
Antivirus & Firewall software will protect your computers (eg. Desktops and Laptops) from Malware (eg. viruses) and intruders (eg. hackers). As a consequence, this software reduces the risk of corruption and loss of your files.
It is highly recommended to install good Antivirus & Firewall software. After installation, it is important to periodically check that the software is keeping itself up-to-date so that it can detect threats as they become known to the software manufacturer.
Recent Microsoft operating systems do come equipped with a Firewall. Your Windows Firewall will protect you from a number of threats. From time to time you may need to go into the settings of the Firewall and customize it per your needs.
Un-trusted software is in the block list of your Firewall by default, however when such programs attempt to access the internet your Firewall will ask you whether you want to unblock them.
Apart from Windows Firewall, 3rd party Firewall software is often bundled with Antivirus software and sold as a full security suite by various security software manufacturers.
When you plan to install Antivirus software on your PC (or even the full security suite software), there are many different brands of software to choose from. Almost all of them provide you with a free trial version so that you can try the product to see if it performs to your satisfaction before deciding to pay for the full version.
Security software generally follows a standard installation method which is outlined below:
• The very first thing to do is to download the installer or setup program onto your computer from the software manufacturer’s website. At around the same time you may wish to purchase a licence key to enable the full version of the product.
• Run the set up program on your system in order to start the installation process.
• During the installation the software may prompt for a “Licence Key” or a “Serial Number” in order to verify that you have a genuine copy of the software. At this point, you may select to install the software as a free trial version rather than providing a purchased “Licence Key” or “Serial Number”.
• Tick the accept box under the statement “You have read and understood the terms and conditions of the Agreement”
• Select whether you want to go with a Custom install or a Complete installation. Custom installation allows you to only install specific functions of the software, however it is generally recommended by the software manufacturer to go with a complete installation.
• After these steps the installation will proceed. In a matter of minutes your software will be installed and ready to use!
• Generally, at this point no further configuration is required, but most brands of software do allow you to customise the installation to your preferences using the options and settings offered within the software